Friday, April 2, 2010

White baby, black baby

If John Henry doesn't know someone's name, he calls them the color of their shirt. We have had a man that works with Kurt over here putting in our cabinets, and the first time he came he wore a red shirt. Now John Henry calls him Red Sammy. He calls the electrician White Sammy (even though he was wearing a black shirt and is named Doug :) ).

This morning John Henry and I took Macey to the doctor for her 1 month appt. (I'll update stats in the 1 month post). We were in the very small well baby waiting room with 4 other kids and their parents. One little black girl, a little white girl, and 2 white babies.

The little black girl got called back, so it was just us and the 3 other families. One of the babies that was wearing a white shirt started crying. John Henry screamed, "Hey Mommy, why is that white baby crying." I was so embarrassed. I said something about his white shirt and prayed they didn't hear, which they did b/c the room is tiny.

The baby next to us was in his car seat, which had a black base. We couldn't see him b/c of the way he was pointed. John Henry looked at me and said so loudly, "Mommy where did that black baby go?" He was wondering why we couldn't see the baby in the black car seat, but I know everyone thought he was asking where the little black girl went. I thought I was going to die! I just knew everyone in there thought my 2 year old was a racist.

Thankfully a few minutes later he asked about the "yellow girl," the little girl in the waiting room that was wearing a yellow bubble. Maybe they realized what he was saying, but I doubt it. I was SO glad when they called us back!

2 comments:

Mary Louis Quinn said...

Haha that made me laugh out loud! I was just telling John yesterday how my brother had a baby nurse named Mary, and Christopher and I called her Black Mary. I think it was because we had so many "Mary's" in our life that we had to distinguish them somehow (me, my grandmother Mary Louis, my Aunt Mary). Black Mary asked my mom to tell us to quit because I guess we were offending her, but apparently we never did. :)

Carrie said...

That is too funny!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio